Friday, February 25, 2011

SO VIOLATED (the reason I changed my blog back to private)

So quite recently, 10 minutes ago, I changed my blog back to private. I was kinda anti-private because it just seemed like a hassel for other people to read it, and it seems like no one hardly does read it when it is private. But my oh so smart computer tech brother has advised me on a few occasions that it isn't safe to have a public blog. At first my reaction was "what are the chances someone will want to creepily stalk me" or "no creepy person will ever randomly find my blog."

WRONG!!!

I found out the hard way. Occasionally I go up to "design" on the top of my blog and click on "stats" to see who is reading my blog. At the bottom of the page there is a place where it tells you if anyone googles a word or phrase and if your blog came up. And it definitely did, in the most creepily way, they searched "NAKED". And I have used that word once, once, in my whole blog! I said something like "when I talk about my insecurities I feel naked". I didn't use it in a weirdy way, but that creepy person still saw it!!!! I mean, I don't want anyone like that, with a mind like that, who would goolge that (and heaven knows what else would come up--besides my blog) to ever see pictures of me or especially my family!!!!

So I have learned a major lesson, there are so many people I don't want to have a glimpse into my life, and I need to be better at keeping things private...

whew, I know that was kind of long, but I had to vent, and I don't want anything like this to happen to you! If you make your blog private I promise I will still read it!!! Because now, even if no one else reads this, at least I don't have to worry anymore :)

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Brenna - I'm glad I can still get on your blog. I read it faithfully. Sad that there are so many creeps who have nothing better to do! Keep posting on your cute family!

Sherrie said...

That is scary, I keep a close eye on who visits, but you never know, so I will have to look into going private soon... so sad it has to be like this! You have such a cute blog!

sherrie bebe said...

As you know, I totally understand the hesitation of going private. I'm glad you chose to do it though, for the sake of your beautiful family! Unfortunately, you may just have to give me a nudge when you write so I don't miss anything! :)

Lindsay said...

One thing to note -- you can set your blog to be unsearchable to search engines (it's in the settings section). If you click "no" to let blogger add you to their listings, and "no" to let search engines find you (the default setting for both of these, I believe, is "yes"), people will have a much harder time searching your blog. Mine are both set to "no" and I just searched the stats section and the only keywords used to find me are when people type in my whole blog address. Of course, it's not infallible, but, according to my techy brother, not even private is completely infallible. But there are certain measures you can take to keep an eye on things, in case you want to make your blog public again someday. Whatever you choose is fine, of course -- we'll keep checking in. :)